2017 Mosman Youth Awards in Literature winners named31 August 2017
The Presentation Evening announcing the winners for the 2017 Mosman Youth Awards in Literature was held on Wednesday 30 August at the Barry O’Keefe Library.
“The competition, which is in its 25th year, attracted 350 entries from students at local schools and others across Sydney and the state,” said Manager Library Services, Linda Horswell.
“The presentation event was well attended with 125 people attending including short-listed entrants and their families, teachers, sponsors, competition judges and councillors.
“The judges commented on the very high standard of this year’s entries and the variety of topics written and congratulated all the short-listed writers saying that the high standard of writing made it very hard to choose the winners.”
This year’s awards were sponsored by the Rotary Club of Mosman, Mosman Lions Club, Café Moby at Mosman, Oracle Books Mosman and Mosman Community College. The total amount awarded for prizes was $2,185.
The winners are as follows:
- 1st Prize – Iona Gate, SCECGS Redlands
- 2nd Prize – Maria Smith, SCECGS Redlands
- Highly Commended – Emma Comerford, Roseville College
Junior Secondary Prose
- 1st Prize – Isabella Baker, NBSC Mackellar Girls Campus
- 2nd Prize – Alyssa Chen, Chatswood High School
- Highly Commended – Ella Egan, Mosman High School
Senior Secondary Prose
- 1st Prize – Nanki Soin, St Luke’s Grammar School
- 2nd Prize – Claudia Hayman, St Luke’s Grammar School
- Highly Commended – Grace Hu, Pymble Ladies College
Junior Secondary Poetry
- 1st Prize – Jazz Williamson, St Luke’s Grammar School
- 2nd Prize – Amy Jones, Oxford Fall’s Grammar School
- Highly Commended – Jess McCann, Loreto Kirribilli
Senior Secondary Poetry
- 1st Prize – Xanthe Muston, Wenona School
- 2nd Prize – Byron Edwards, NBSC Cromer Campus
- Highly Commended – Amy Layton, Stella Maris College
- Commended – Grace Hu, Pymble Ladies College