Smoke Free Zones
Mosman is a beautiful place with its sandy beaches, green foreshore reserves and public open space. Each year many thousands of visitors come to Mosman to enjoy the things that we enjoy every day such as making a trip to the beach, going for a walk, having something to eat or taking the children to sport. These are all about getting fresh air and living life to the full.
Residents of Mosman and everyone who visits have the right to a clean and healthy environment. To preserve this right for the community, Mosman Council has made its beaches, children’s playgrounds, playing fields and some public space areas smoke free. This means everyone can breathe cleaner air and enjoy a healthier environment.
Smoking is no longer acceptable in the following areas:
- All harbour beaches and foreshore reserves.
- All parks and reserves, including Reservoir Park, Mosman Square and the Village Green.
- Within 10 metres of all Council owned children’s play areas.
- On and around all Council sporting grounds, playing fields, bushland areas, bus shelters and underground car parks.
- Within 10 metres of all Council properties.
- At designated and signposted alfresco dining areas on Council land.
- At all Council events.
There is an on-the-spot penalty of $110. Council seeks your co-operation as an alternative to enforcement of such penalties.
From 6 July 2015, commercial outdoor dining areas will also be smoke-free. This means:
- All forms of smoking will be banned in any seated outdoor dining area of a restaurant, café or licensed venue while food is being served
- Within 4 metres of a seated dining area on licensed premises or at a restaurant
- Within 10 metres of a place at a food fair where food is sold or supplied for consumption
- Individuals will be fined $300 if this law is broken
- Business will be fined $5,500 if this law is broken