MyMosman app wins prestigious award06 August 2018
Mosman Council’s innovative MyMosman resident app has been acknowledged with a win in the prestigious RH Dougherty Awards for Excellence in Communication during last week’s Local Government Week awards.
The app, which has proven popular with Mosman residents since its launch in June 2017, took out the Reporting to Your Community Award for its category and was described by judges as a “terrific, innovative idea, relevant for the community”.
“Nearly 5000 of our residents have already downloaded our popular app, so it’s pleasing to see that the award judges have also found MyMosman to be not only innovative, but highly relevant for our local community,” Mosman Council General Manager Dominic Johnson said.
“MyMosman was the first app of its kind to be launched by a local council and it continues to meet the needs of our digitally savvy residents by combining all the most popular features and services from council’s various sites and apps into one easy-to-use app.”
The free app, which was developed completely in-house by council’s Communications Team members, was recently updated to further improve the user experience. The latest changes, which included a new homepage providing quick access to every section, a feedback page and resident services area with direct links to pay rates, apply for parking permits and search for development applications, complement existing features such as news, events, waste calendars, reporting and recreational maps.
“These latest updates added in February give users an even better experience, supporting the RH Dougherty Awards ethos of encouraging and recognising best-practice communication by councils to their local communities,” Mr Johnson said.
The app is loaded with a range of features including:
- Notifications of the latest news, events and works alerts which can be pushed directly to phones
- Reporting functionality including photos and mapping to enable users to notify council of issues
- Residential address-specific waste and recycling calendar reminders that can prompt users
- Interactive maps and information on popular walks, reserves, beaches and sporting facilities, with access to directions via Google Maps. Extra information is provided for dog owners
- Improved responsiveness with faster loading and navigation than council’s full or mobile websites
- Accessibility features to assist the visually impaired.
MyMosman can be downloaded free from the iPhone App Store and Google Play.