The Family History records in the Mosman Local Studies Collection include directories, cemetery registers, probate index, shipping records and handbooks.
Online resources available for use at Barry O’Keefe Library
The library subscribes to three online genealogy website. These sites are free to use and can be accessed at the library during library hours.
Special access from home is now available for FindmyPast to Mosman Library Service members for a temporary period while the Library is closed.
If you would like to take advantage of this offer please email email@example.com with your name and your Mosman Library Service card number for further information and the log in details.
- IHR New South Wales records from 1850-1930 includes Directories, Electoral Rolls, Miners, Mining and Pastoral Licences, Purchasers and Lessees, Farmers, Graziers, Shearers and Station Hands.
Ancestry.com and Findmypast provide access to US, UK and Australian records including Births, Marriages and Deaths, Parish and Probate indexes, Electoral Rolls and Directories such as the Sands Sydney Street Directory, telephone books and newspapers.
Below are a few of the most popular websites for family history research.
- Society of Australian Genealogists – the Society has been assisting family history researchers, providing training and hosting workshops since 1932.
- Family History Connections – is a voluntary organisation promoting the study of family history throughout Australia and assisting members in their research.
- Cora Num – a categorised index providing links to online resources based on the book Websites for Genealogists.
- Cyndislist – a categorised and cross-referenced index to online genealogical resources.
- GENUKI – useful for those seeking genealogical information relevant to the UK and Ireland.
- Ryerson Index – an index to death notices in Australian newspapers. The date range extends from the Sydney Gazette, 1803 to recently published newspapers. The Index also includes some funeral notices, probate notices and obituaries.
- NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages – allows searches of the indexes and online ordering of certificates.
- National Archives of Australia – the Commonwealth Government’s records authority and archives.
- State Archives and Records – the NSW Government’s records authority and archives.
- Family Search – the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints genealogy website.
- Interment. Net – records, transcripts, and burial registers, from cemeteries around the world, contributed by genealogists, cemeteries, government agencies, and private organizations.
- Australian War Memorial – a shrine, museum and archive to assist Australians to remember, interpret and understand the Australian experience of war and its impact on Australian society.