Council's Community Grants support community groupsPosted Friday 30 August 2013
Seventeen community groups were presented with Council community grants last Wednesday to support their programs and services, sharing in a total of over $33,000 in financial support from Council.
At the presentation morning tea on 28th August, the Mayor, Cr Peter Abelson acknowledged the invaluable role of non-profit community-based groups in supporting local residents and the Mosman community. He highlighted the importance of community groups and Council working together to respond to local needs and enhance community life.
The grants were provided as part of Council’s 2013/14 Community Grants program, which provides financial assistance to support non-profit community groups and organisations deliver non-recurrent projects that meet Council’s social, cultural and community development objectives. Successful applicants were assessed as meeting identified community needs and being able to demonstrate tangible outcomes as well as building community capacity and enhancing community connectedness.
The grants were awarded for a diverse range of projects, from seeding grants for new initiatives such as media and communication skills for young people through community radio training, to vital equipment to operate programs, such as kayaks for sea scouts. As well as the community as a whole, the grants also covered many important demographic groups, including children, young people, older people, and people with a disability.
In attending the presentation, community group representatives also had an opportunity to connect with each other and identify common interests and the potential for collaboration.
The grants program is an important aspect of Council community development support in working in partnership with community organisations, that also includes assistance in establishing new services and programs; advocacy for Commonwealth and/or State government funding; community information and promotion; and contribution to other strategies for further enhancing effective service and program delivery in the local area.
Applications for Council’s Community Grants Program open in May and close at the end of June each year. For further information on Council’s Community Grants program, please visit Council’s website or contact Council’s Manager Community Services on 9978 4006.
The successful groups for 2013/14 were:
- Constant Companion (personal emergency alarms to two Mosman residents in need)
- Mosman Home Gardeners (Floral Festival and 70th anniversary)
- Mosman Orchestra (Mosman Orchestra concert series)
- Taldumande Youth Services (youth and family early intervention support)
- Physical Disability Council of NSW (Word Matters disability awareness training)
- Mosman Croquet Club (gutterguards on Clubhouse)
- Barn Quilters (Quilt Show 2013)
- Northside Broadcasting Co-operative (community radio with young people)
- Middle Harbour Public School (guided reading program)
- Lower North Shore Domestic Violence Network (promotional resources/banner pens)
- Mosman Community Gardeners (community garden extension & program for children)
- The Shepherd Centre (school readiness for children with hearing impairment in Mosman)
- Wings of Hope (remembrance seat for bereaved through loss of loved one by suicide).
- The Spit Swimming Club (electronic timing system)
- Fighting Chance Australia (markets program for people with a disability)
- 1st Balmoral Sea Scouts (kayaks)
- Mosman Musical Society (chorus and concert series)