Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
mosman councilToggle submenu
Skip to main Content

Changes to 10/50 Laws

Posted Thursday 27 November 2014

Effective 26 November 2014, the 10/50 vegetation entitlement clearing laws have been significantly amended with entitlement areas being reduced. Residents are being reminded that it is the property owner’s responsibility to ensure all works under this law comply with the recent changes.

The following information is provided to assist the community:

  • Residents should visit the NSW Rural Fire Service website and self assess whether their property is within a clearing entitlement area and works are in accordance with the RFS code of practice .
  • Trees on public land – Land owner’s consent is required, there is no obligation for council to allow removal or pruning of trees or vegetation. Residents are not permitted to remove vegetation or trees on Council land.
  • Any works required to be carried out on public owned trees, where access is required from public land, prior written approval from Council must be obtained through a Tree Permit Application. Application for Tree Permit for Public Land
  • Pruning of public trees from private property – Council strongly recommends that a tree permit assessment is obtained from Council to ensure works conform to the RFS code of practice and Australian Standards. This will also ensure that trees maintain their structural integrity and limit future management issues. Any works carried out not in accordance with AS 4373 are in breach of the RFS Code of Practice as well as Council’s tree preservation. All breaches will be investigated by Council and may result in prosecution and penalties imposed under relevant legislation. Application for Tree Permit Private Property
  • Property owners are under no obligation to remove or prune trees on their private land.
  • Residents concerned about the negative effects of the legislation should make a submission to NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) attention the RFS Commissioner.

If a resident has a genuine fire concern the process is to send correspondence in writing to Council or RFS. The RFS will inspect the fire complaint and provide feedback to both the resident and Council.

Enquiries to Council’s Tree Management Officer, Stephen Wall 9978 4000

More detailed information is available on our article on Trees.