Youth Awards in Literature winnersPosted Tuesday 04 September 2018
Congratulations to the 18 young writers who were awarded cash prizes for this year’s Mosman Youth Awards in Literature at the Presentation Evening held at Barry O’Keefe Library on Wednesday 29 August.
This year marked the 26th year of the competition which attracted 410 entries from both local and regional students.
The presentation evening was attended by 125 people including short-listed entrants and their families, teachers, sponsors, competition judges and Councillors. The judges commented on the very high standard of entries and the variety of topics written. They also congratulated all the short-listed writers on their writing saying that the high standard made it very hard to choose the winners.
This year’s awards were sponsored by Rotary Club of Mosman, Mosman Lions Club, Mosman Zu Cafe, Oracle Books Mosman and Mosman Community College. The total amount awarded for prizes was $2,300.
- 1st Prize – Jemma Simpson, Tara Anglican School for Girls
- 2nd Prize – Imogen Clayton, Mosman Public School
- Highly Commended – Maria Smith, Redlands
- Commended – Christian Tripet, Covenant Christian School
Junior Secondary Prose
- 1st Prize – Emma Comerford, Roseville College
- 2nd Prize – Eden Russell, Covenant Christian School
- Highly Commended – Luca Vincenzo, St Pius X College
Senior Secondary Prose
- 1st Prize – Sophie Sheppard, Mater Maria Catholic College
- 2nd Prize – Bruna Gomes, Barrenjoey High School
- Highly Commended – Layla Zak-Volpato, Stella Maris College
Junior Secondary Poetry
- 1st Prize – Sophia McKay, Queenwood
- 2nd Prize – Vera Verbina, Chatswood High School
- Highly Commended – Chloe Entwistle, Wenona
- Highly Commended – Tara Seymour, St Luke’s Grammar
Senior Secondary Poetry
- 1st Prize – Stephen McCarthy, Sydney Grammar School
- 2nd Prize – Victor Dumas, St Luke’s Grammar School
- Highly Commended – Amy Layton, Stella Maris College
- Commended – Sreya Vt, Pymble Ladies College