Where to Walk Your Dog
Mosman has areas where dogs may be exercised either on or off the leash:
Off leash dog areas are clearly signposted and describe where dogs may be exercised on and off leash. Dogs must be kept on a leash at all times when they are not in a designated off-leash area. Dog walkers and owners are reminded that even when a dog is off-leash it must remain under effective control at all times and must not become a nuisance or impact on the enjoyment of other park users. Always keep watch on your animal.
Mosman Council has prohibited dogs from all other parks, reserves, ovals and beaches. A dog must be on the leash at all other times whilst outside your property.
Areas for unleashed dogs
Dogs are prohibited from being exercised off the leash in all parks, reserves and on all footpaths and roads in Mosman with the exception of the areas listed below:
- Rawson Park – refer to insert at bottom right-hand corner of PDF map above for exceptions
- Lawry Plunkett Reserve (top of Plunkett Rd)
- Reid Park – excepting Saturdays from 1 October to 30 March, 8:30am to 5:30pm
- Spit Reserve (West) – excepting Saturdays from 8:30am to 2:30pm
- Spit Reserve (East)
Dogs are allowed to be exercised off the leash all day Monday to Friday, and before 9am and after 4pm Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays in the following grassed areas:
- Clifton Gardens Reserve
- Sirius Park
- Rosherville Reserve
Unleashed dogs are permitted on the beach and in the water all day Monday to Friday, and before 9am and after 4pm on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays in the following areas:
- Sirius Cove
- Spit West and Spit East Reserves
Dogs are permitted off-leash on the beach east of the Clifton Gardens jetty at the following times:
- before 9am and after 4pm weekdays during winter
- Before 9am and after 6pm weekdays during daylight savings summer months (Oct – Mar)
Dogs must be under the effective control of a competent person at all times.
Areas for leashed dogs
Dogs must be under the effective control of a competent person by means of an adequate chain, cord or leash in the following parks:
- Hunter Park
- Countess Park
- Memory Park
- Curraghbeena Park
- Mosman Park
- Bay Street/Lane M90
- Orlando Avenue Park
- The Esplanade Reserve
- The Rawson Oval car park and the area south surrounding Rawson Oval including the road from the car park to the ‘old netball courts’
Dogs are not permitted within 10 metres of children’s playground equipment or tables in all reserves.
Faeces must be removed from reserves, parks and all footpaths and roads immediately.
Whilst off the leash the dog must at all times be under the effective control of a competent person. Always keep watch on your animal.
Prohibited areas for all dogs
- Mosman Park Oval (Allan Border Oval)
- Rawson Oval
- The Drill Hall Common and adjacent netball courts
- Middle Head Oval
- Balmoral Oval
- Georges Heights Oval
- Chinaman’s Beach
- All public beaches and swimming enclosures, and Sydney Harbour National Park