- Information in Chinese (357kB)
If you do not understand this information in English and require language assistance, please ring the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50, and ask for an interpreter in your language to contact Mosman Council (02) 9978 4000. This is a free service.
Located on the northern shores of Sydney Harbour, Mosman offers a rich cultural life amidst beautiful bushland surrounds. Mosman Council plans for building and development, maintains parks, beaches and sporting facilities, provides services for children, youth and older people and runs cultural activities, a library and an art gallery. We welcome new residents and visitors and celebrate community harmony, respect and cultural diversity.
You can contact Council by phone on 9978 4000.
Council’s business hours are Monday to Friday 8.30 – 5.00.
Correspondence (which must include your name and address) to Council should be forwarded to the General Manager, Dominic Johnson by mail, fax, or email:
- General Manager
PO BOX 211
Spit Junction NSW 2088
- (02) 9978 4132
Council Rangers can be contacted on 9978 4081.
Council is committed to providing high quality accessible and responsive services for residents, including residents from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Council works with other government and non-government agencies providing settlement and other support services to recently arrived migrants, refugees, and longer term residents. Refer to the Community Directory for information about local settlement services and assistance for newly arrived migrants and refugees.
For inquiries by residents with limited or no English, Council has a register of staff who are fluent speakers of languages other than English or can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50 for trained telephone interpreters.
An English Conversation Group is held at the Mosman Seniors Centre. For inquiries contact Council on 9978 4128 or email@example.com.
Mosman Library Service can also arrange loans of books in languages other than English through the State Library of NSW Multicultural Service. The Library holds a small Literacy Collection suitable for students of English as a Second Language (ESL). This collection includes graded readers, books with CDs and tapes and books with videos and DVDs.
You are invited to learn to speak English with a group of friendly people in Mosman.
Join an English Conversation Group which will meet at:
The Volunteers Lounge
Mosman Seniors Centre, Mosman Square, Spit Junction
1pm – 2.30pm
Wednesdays during school term
This is an intermediate group assuming you have basic written and spoken English. It is led by a volunteer tutor. A coin donation would be appreciated.
For further information and registration please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9978 4128.
To assist in settling in the community, quick reference guides on local services for newly arrived migrants are now available in English and selected community languages. The guides have been produced by the Lower North Shore Multicultural Network with financial assistance from Mosman Council and other lower north shore councils.
Guides in other community languages will follow from the Network.
Each year Council provides a range of community events to celebrate Harmony Week. This provides an opportunity for residents to celebrate our diverse and harmonious multicultural community, to recommit to the values of respect and goodwill towards our fellow Australians of all backgrounds, and to say no to racism.
- Mayor and Councillors: for the names and contact details of elected councillors.
- Council meetings: Council meets fortnightly on the first and third Tuesday of each month and the Traffic Committee meets every two months.
- Development Applications: the development application process and frequently asked questions.
- Rubbish and Recycling: outlining Council’s weekly and other regular waste collection services.
- Mosman Library Service: library services, library catalogue and renewal of books.
- Mosman Art Gallery Mosman Art Gallery: exhibitions, programs, and events.
- Community Directory : information about local services and programs, including childcare, and sporting, leisure and social opportunities.
- Community: information on Council community services for children (including childcare), young people, older people (including delivered meals services and recreation programs), people with a disability, and volunteer opportunities.
- Recreation and Sport: including playgrounds, and sporting facilities.
- New Residents: information and assistance for new residents.
- Mosman Events : listing community events and activities throughout the year.
- Maps of Mosman
Links to Australian and NSW Government information in community languages
- Immigration and Citizenship
- Australian Taxation Office
- Beginning a Life in Australia
- Community Relations Commission
- Information on government financial assistance and employment
- Office of Fair Trading – covers topics such as buying a car, renting and credit.
- The Adult Migrant English Service (AMES) – English language courses for newly arrived migrants.
- My Language – serving multicultural Australia.
- Ageing, Disability & Home Care information
- State Library - Multicultural Services – information about public libraries & language collections in New South Wales
- Roads and Traffic Authority - Driver's Knowledge Test
- Road Users Handbook (PDF files) – in English as well as Chinese, Croatian, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Serbian, Spanish, Turkish, Vietnamese.