Smoke Free Zones
Mosman is a beautiful place with its sandy beaches, green foreshore reserves and public open space. Each year many thousands of visitors come to Mosman to enjoy the things that we enjoy every day such as making a trip to the beach, going for a walk, having something to eat or taking the children to sport. These are all about getting fresh air and living life to the full.
Residents of Mosman and everyone who visits have the right to a clean and healthy environment. To preserve this right for the community, Mosman Council has made its beaches, children’s playgrounds, playing fields and some public space areas smoke free. This means everyone can breathe cleaner air and enjoy a healthier environment.
Smoking is not acceptable in the following areas
- All harbour beaches and foreshore reserves.
- All parks and reserves, including Reservoir Park, Mosman Square and the Village Green.
- Within 10 metres of all Council owned children’s play areas.
- On and around all Council sporting grounds, playing fields, bushland areas, bus shelters and underground car parks.
- Within 10 metres of all Council properties.
- At designated and signposted alfresco dining areas on Council land.
- At all Council events.
On-the-spot penalties apply. Council seeks your co-operation as an alternative to enforcement of such penalties.
Commercial outdoor dining areas are also smoke-free
- All forms of smoking are banned in any seated outdoor dining area of a restaurant, café or licensed venue while food is being served
- Within 4 metres of a seated dining area on licensed premises or at a restaurant
- Within 10 metres of a place at a food fair where food is sold or supplied for consumption
- Individuals will be fined $300 if this law is broken
- Business will be fined $5,500 if this law is broken
NSW Health enforces this ban. For more information see the fact sheet or visit the NSW Health website. To report a breech please call NSW Health on 1800 357 412.