Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.


Subdivision requires development consent under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979, except where it may be permitted as exempt or complying development under the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008. Visit the NSW Planning Portal or contact Council’s Planning Advisor on 9978 4172 for further information regarding exempt and complying development relating to subdivision. 

Once development consent has been granted and any works required as part of the subdivision completed, a Subdivision Certificate is required to be obtained. 

What is a Subdivision Certificate?

A Subdivision Certificate:

  • Certifies that the subdivision plan has been completed in accordance with the relevant development consent or complying development certificate; and
  • Authorises the registration of the subdivision plan for lodgement with the NSW Land and Property Information.

Preparing a Subdivision Certificate application

An application for a Subdivision Certificate may only be made by the owner of the land or any other person with the consent (in writing) of the landowner.

The following documentation would generally be required for a Subdivision Certificate:

  • A subdivision plan prepared by a registered surveyor,
  • Administration Sheet signed by a registered surveyor,
  • A copy of any relevant development consent or complying development certificate,
  • A copy of any relevant subdivision works certificate,
  • Evidence of completion of any required subdivision work (where applicable), 
  • Evidence that the applicant has complied with all conditions of consent that it is required to comply with before a subdivision certificate can be issued (where applicable),
  • A certificate of compliance from the Sydney Water (where applicable),
  • Section 88B Instrument/s (where applicable), and
  • Anything else specified in Clause 157(2) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000.

Apply online

An application for Subdivision Certificate is required to be lodged online via the NSW Planning Portal

  1. If you don’t already have an account, Register for a NSW Planning Portal account to start your application.
  2. Log in to complete the online application form.

Support available

  • If you have difficulties logging in to the NSW Planning Portal or registering your NSW Planning Portal account, refer to the NSW Government’s FAQ web page, call Service NSW on 1300 305 695 or email
  • If you are unsure of what documents to lodge with your application or if you have submitted your application through the NSW Planning Portal and wish to enquire as to the status, phone Council’s Development Services Support Officer on 9978 4278.

Register the subdivision with NSW Land Registry Services

When completed, the Subdivision Certificate will be issued to the applicant via the NSW Planning Portal.

The applicant’s surveyor will then lodge the Subdivision Certificate with NSW Land Registry Services. Visit the NSW Land Registry Services website for information regarding their lodgement requirements.

Last updated Thursday 27 April 2023
Last updated Thursday 27 April 2023