Mosman Community Gardeners is a lively and welcoming community group which runs two food gardens in Mosman. We garden together in shared beds each Wednesday and Sunday afternoons and divide up the harvest of the day between us.
- Winter time gardening: 2-4pm
- Summer time (DST): 3-5pm
Mackie Lane garden is located behind Honeysuckle Nursery on Military Road. The garden was developed in 2011 on land belonging to, and in agreement with Ausgrid, transforming a bare patch of industrial wasteland into a fertile oasis of nutritious fruits, vegetables and flowers.
Middle Head garden lies in the heart of the National Park and showcases examples of edible natives as well as vegetables. The garden was established in 2009 through the generosity of National Parks and Wildlife on an existing vegetable garden behind the Soldiers Institute.
Our objectives are to:
- Demonstrate practical solutions to growing food in a suburban location, in particular organic methods where plants are cultivated without the use of chemicals
- Demonstrate, promote, and advocate for environmental sustainability through growing food locally
- Provide the means for people who have limited outdoor space or no garden in which to grow food
- Create a sociable meeting place for the whole community regardless of gardening experience, age, gender, sexuality, and culture
- Promote waste minimisation, including composting, water usage techniques and solar energy generation that can be used by people in their own homes.
Other Options – Street Verges, Nature Strips and Unmade Roads
Residents are able to make an application to garden on street verges and underutilised unmade road reserves. Applications are reviewed considering potential impacts on pedestrian and traffic movements, neighbouring residents and other users. Where an application is approved applicants are responsible for maintenance and establishment costs, as is the case where street verges are planted as gardens.