Climate Action Engagement
In August 2019 Mosman Council became a member of the Cities Power Partnership to boost ongoing efforts to reduce greenhouse gases and to have better outcomes for the environment generally. The Climate Council provides many resources related to climate disruption and news on the latest developments. For further information visit their website.
Council established a Climate Action Community Consultative Committee comprising Councillors, members of the community, and key Council staff. The committee meets bi-monthly and minutes are reported to Council. A copy of the charter can be found here.
Council is in partnership with a number of organisations, from Government and inter-Council networks, global alliances, and local environmental groups and community members:
- NSROC ESPOG is the Northern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils, who coordinate the Environmental Sustainability Professional Officers Group. Resilient Sydney is a network partially funded by all member Councils, that works on statistics, accountability, strategy development, advocacy, and sharing good practice.
- Cities Power Partnership is an Australian wide network of towns and cities committed to tackling climate change.
- Climate Emergency Council provides group discussion and is an Australian wide network that shares information and advocacy.
- Resilient Cities Network started as 100 cities taking action on climate change and has continued growing. Its an important network for resource sharing, and advocacy at global level.
- ICLEI is a global network for Local Governments for Sustainability.
- Zero Emissions Schools Network in the Mosman LGA has been initiated and will continue to get support from Council. Council has been encouraging solar panels on schools through the Solar My Schools funding campaign.
- There are a number of active Environmental groups in Mosman that collaborate with Council to reach the community and help promote energy efficiency, insulation and other building design, residential solar installation, and reduce, reuse and recycling.
To keep informed about sustainability and the environment register to receive Council’s Living Mosman newsletter
Climate Action Forum
This webinar on 8 September 2020 brought together all levels of government on climate resilience and how we can respond to climate change.
Guest speakers and representatives included Mosman Mayor Carolyn Corrigan, Federal Member for Warringah Zali Steggall OAM, Member for North Shore Felicity Wilson, NSW Minister for Energy & Environment and Member for Hornsby Matt Kean, Director of the Sydney Environment Institute Professor David Schlosberg, and Mosman Council’s Team Leader Sustainability Professor Ruth Irwin.
Dr Ruth Irwin, Team Leader Sustainability at Mosman Council, presented at a community consultation workshop for climate mitigation on 30 July 2020.
This workshop, the first of a series of three, focussed on mitigation, our carbon footprint through energy, transport, air quality, waste, food, finance, planning and development, building design and materials.
Adaptation and Resilience
Dr Ruth Irwin, Team Leader Sustainability at Mosman Council, presented at a community consultation workshop for climate adaptation and resilience on 6 August 2020. This workshop, the second in a series of three, focussed on adaptation and resilience to climate change, sea level rise, storm surge, extreme weather, drought, water and urban heat island effect.
Dr Ruth Irwin, Team Leader Sustainability at Mosman Council, presented at a community consultation workshop for climate adaptation and resilience on 28 August 2020. This workshop, the last in a series of three, focussed on mitigation, adaptation, resilience and exploring values.