Compost Bins and Worm Farms
Did you know that 4.45 million tonnes of food is thrown out across Australia per year, making food the most wasted commodity in Australian households?But what of the unavoidable food waste such as vegetable peelings and egg shells? Composting and worm farming will transform these valuable items to soil. The humble worm farm and compost bin will not only add soil to the garden but will:
- supply nutrients
- increase moisture retention
- add helpful bacteria
- improve soil structure allowing pathways for air and water.
- reduce erosion as the humus helps soil particles to hold tightly together
- suppress soil borne diseases by microorganisms commonly associated with compost
- not generate excess methane gas (a green house gas) as nature based systems are oxygenated
These are some of the wonderful natural services provided just through the simple art of composting and worm farming. So why not join the Compost Revolution!
Eco House & Garden workshops
The Kimbriki Eco House and Garden is the place to learn how to apply organic gardening principles to everyday gardening. This includes composting, worm farming, mulching and low waste organic gardening.
Costa’s Guide to Household Composting
This short tutorial presented by Planet Ark Ambassador Costa Georgiadis will tell you everything you need to know about composts and worm farms for the home.